Changes from previous treatment version:
during the breaking down and the sketching of the single scenes, the story has evolved in the following way:
Period: nowadays, the near future
Duration: one morning
Location: private housing estate
Levels of conflict: man against monster to the death
Drinking Scene Position: Poison in the milk, beginning
Climax: the hero discovers that his son is a zombie. He fight against his son, killing him. Then the hero looks out from a window and discovers that all the dwellers of the private housing estate where he lives have been transformed in to zombies. Also his wife, killed by their son, has turned into a zombie. She is moving forward to attack him. He brings his gun and shots to himself, before any monster could transform him in a monster.
Controlling Idea [Value (positive or negative) + Cause]: Negative (Hero loses his gamily and kills himself) + He finds a way to not get transformed, but it costs his life.
Breakdown for storyboard:
- A milkman is approaching a door’s house. It’s not possible to see his face. The atmosphere is unusual, the camera hides his face deliberately. Show Happy Milk logo [Is there something wrong?]
- The milkman deposits a letter and a bottle of milk on the main door step. Show Happy Milk Logo. No face shown [Introducing the milk in the story.]
- He walks away form the door. Again no face. It’s possible to see in the background other milkmen that are doing the same thing. No faces [Increase the sense that something is weird]
- Shot of the Happy Milk logo on a van. Sound of people entering in different cars. The Happy Milk vans caravan goes away from the housing estate. [again, unusual thing]
- A dog exits from the little door located on the low part of the house main door and sniffs the milk bottle. [Stimulates questions in the viewer, what will the dog do? Probably it will feel that there is something odd, animals have a sixth sense for danger]
- An accident happens and the bottle falls on the ground, breaking itself. The dog is scared. [anticipation]
- The dog again sniffs the milk. [If there is something wrong with the milk, now the pet will understand it]
- It drinks the milk and goes inside the door [so everything is normal, is it possible?]
Introducing the Family sequence:
- Woman enter in the kitchen room and places on the table the bottle of Happy Milk and an opened letter. [again the milk! There must be something about it!]
- Detail of the letter: “Dear friend you and your neighborhood have won a free trial of our new product, Happy Milk….” [so this is the reason of the milk/first answer]
- She starts preparing breakfast [is still morning]
- Detail of a night table. Over it there are a family group photo, (Dad, Mom -the same character that is cooking- and a kid) a policeman badge and an alarm clock. The clock starts to beep. [So there is a family in this story]
- The man in the photo stops the alarm clock. He smells the scent of the breakfast that is arriving form downstairs and smiles. [he is a happy man]
- Dad is sitting on his bed, he’s stretching. A shadow enters in the room and jumps over him, [there we are! There is something dangerous in this story!]
- From downstairs the woman calls for the breakfast [she doesn’t know what’s happening upstairs!]
- The shadow over the man is… his son! They are playing a fight. Mom calls again, they laugh and stops to fight. [ah, so there isn’t a real danger-it’s a really happy family… but the milk?]
- Dad and son are sitting at the table. Mum is serving. They talk together [happy family scene, empathy for the family]
*Mum caresses his son when she walks behind him.
*“Mum, I’ve almost beaten dad today in our fight!“, Dad answers “You still have to grow up…”
*The kid puts the cereals in his bowl, then tries to open the milk bottle. But it’s closed to tight.
*Dad notices the letters and reads it.
*They are eating. The kid is still fighting with the bottle.
*Dad takes the bottle and opens it. “See, you still have to improve before having any change against your dad”. They all laugh.
*Kid pours the milk in his bowl and glass.
Subplot 2 + End:
- A woman takes her keys form a basket on a table in the corridor. She is ready to exit from her house. [why are we changing subject? What’s going on?]
- She opens the door and sees the broken bottle [it’s the previous house!]
- She turns and says, smiling to the shadowy hallway. “What have you done here Rufus? You are a naughty pet, aren’t you?” [who is Rufus? Ah the dog that have broken the bottle…]
- A monstrous paw exits from the shadow. Growling sounds. [Is that Rufus??? The milk has something, I knew it!]
- Close up of the screaming face of the woman. Blood all over the walls [It’s dangerous here!]
What’s happening? sequence:
- The family ears the screaming woman. On the table the children glass of milk is empty [oh no, the kid drank the milk…]
- Dad is almost ready to go out and check [he is a cop, his work is to help the others, empathy level increases
- Kid collapses on the ground shaking, he is dribbling. [The viewer knows what happened to Rufus and now they know what will happen next. The family don’t know anything] (other screams from near houses)
- Mom tells to Dad to go to call 911. He exits form the kitchen. [She is alone with a monster, anxiety]
- Dad is composing the number when he hears a growling sound coming from the kitchen room and he can’t hear his wife voice anymore (she was saying “stay with me baby, everything will be alright” etc…) [viewer knows exactly what’s happened to her]
- Dad walks back and sees his son, now a zombie, eating his mom body. He is terrified. [The milk is dangerous, everyone is turning as a zombi…]
- He walks backward. He can’t move away his eyes from what’s happening [audience is with the cop and they start to ask to themselves if he is going to kill his son]
- The zombie notices his dad, and stares at him, ready to attack [preparation for the next scene, increasing tension]
- Walking backward, dad hits the front door with his back. He can escape… but the zombie charges him [Climax starting point]
- It’s just a matter of seconds. The man is a trained cop and instinctively takes out the gun and shoots against the zombie/his son. One of the bullets hit the monster between its eyes. It lies on the ground dead. [Climax]
- The man is sitting on the ground, his head between his hands. He can’t notice that the arm of his dead wife (it was possible to see it appearing form the opened kitchen door – man POV when he is crying sit in the corridor) is not on the ground anymore. [clue for the viewers, it’s not finished yet]
- Someone starts to hit the front door. The man stands up and sees a grotesque silhouette that is hitting the door with almost no strength. [what’s happening?]
- The man steps back form the door and runs in the living room. The curtains are closed. He moves one of them and looks outside. Zombies are everywhere, and some of them are trying to enter in his house [story twist].
- A shadow appears behind him. His wife! She is a zombie too now. [what’s going to do the hero in this context? He is completely under pressure. Now it’s possible to show his real character]
- The man turns just in time… and shoots another bullet (aerial view of the house) Zombies are chasing living people, the private housing estate looks like a urban guerrilla area. [what’s happened? Why we moved out form the living room?]
- The gun is smoking. The man hand is over it. Then blood enters in the frame. Full body shot. He killed himself [he killed himself to not become a zombie/he killed himself because he couldn’t stand to kill also his wife]